Sunday, May 11, 2014

Triple Ginger Snaps

Last year my awesome sister-in-law, Rachel, introduced me to Trader Joe's triple ginger snaps.  I was hooked.  But the nearest Trader Joe's is an hour away from me.  I decided to make my own.  My final result is more gingery and chewy than Trader Joe's, but I'm happy with them.  My family is too!

1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup butter
1/4 cup molasses
1 egg
2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons ground ginger
6 ounces crystallized ginger
2.5 ounces fresh ginger


Chop the crystallized ginger in a food processor, you want small chunks.  Peel the fresh ginger and chop in the food processor, too.  (I may puree it in the blender next time for a more even texture.)  Both gingers can go in the same bowl and be set aside.

Mix together the brown sugar, butter, molasses, and egg.  In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, and ground ginger.  Add the fresh and crystallized ginger to the molasses mixture, then stir in the flour mix.

I like to let my dough rest in the fridge for at least an hour, but you can bake your cookies right away.  Either way, preheat your oven to 375.  For proper ginger snap appearance, roll dough into 1 inch balls and place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.  Personally, I just dropped small spoon-fulls--not as pretty, but still tasty!  Bake for 10-12 minutes, then cool on wire racks.

No comments:

Post a Comment